This seared tuna with a ginger ponzu (soy-citrus) sauce is easy to make, light and delicious!
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 2 mins
Total Time: 12 mins
Author: Caroline's Cooking
⦁ 1 tbsp soy sauce
⦁ 1 tbsp orange juice
⦁ 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
⦁ 1/2 tsp mirin
⦁ 1/4 tsp freshly grated ginger
⦁ 1 1/2 tbsp oil (for frying - peanut oil or other high smoke point/flavorless best)
⦁ 1/2 lb yellow fin tuna 225g, sushi grade ideally in a square/rectangular block
0. In a small bowl, mix together the orange juice, lemon juice, soy sauce, mirin and ginger. Set aside.
1. If your piece of tuna is wider, cut it into two similar-sized pieces, ideally both square/rectangular ended and even width.
2. Warm the oil in a skillet big enough for the piece of tuna over a medium-high heat until it starts to smoke slightly.
3. Add the tuna to the pan and cook for no more than around 30-45 seconds each side to sear it. Remove from the pan and set aside a couple minutes.
4. Using a very sharp knife, cut the tuna thinly across the grain. Arrange the slices on a larger platter or two plates to serve. Drizzle over the sauce and decorate the plate, if you like eg with slices of lemon, green onions.